Author Topic: Catch 22 - Day 2  (Read 72 times)

ZenPi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Catch 22 - Day 2
« on: April 24, 2019, 01:38:12 AM »
Yesterday, I made a lot of progress, I installed the forum, I got it more or less how I want it visually, but there's still some tweaking to do, which will require the tools I downloaded today. And making the boards look pretty and perfect exactly the way I want them is not high on my priority list. I also managed to get the website installed and put in a page structure that will work.... or not. I do like Word Press, since there are a lot of plugins that will permit me to do pretty much everything I want to do with my site, however...

Do you know what a Catch 22 is? It's where you need to do a thing, but before you do that thing, you have to do another thing. The thing you want to do, you can't do. It's like eating chocolate cake. The reason I like to buy cakes, is because they are already made, and I can get to eating the cake faster than I can make one myself. Do not ever send me cakes. Anyways, when I buy a cake, it's lacking. It's a quick fix, and you can call it cake, but can you call it good cake? Can you call it, orgasmic... The odds of finding a chocolate cake in any store that is up to my particular definition of orgasmic chocolate cake is really low, and I've tried a lot of cakes. So my current catch 22 is like, having all the ingredients on hand, but there's a problem with the oven. The problem with the oven, turns out was a pebkac error... maybe... maybe not. I'm not sure on that exactly. I spent hours with tech support trying to figure out what was wrong with the 'oven', and turns out I just wasn't setting the temp properly. This is a euphemism for the website problem. The website is live, and it's in a stage of Very Pretty under construction. Which brings me to the next issue.

See, I know enough php, javascript, html, and css to look at it and not go 'What the fuck is this garbage?!'. However, I'm not super fluent in 3 of the 4, and I'm really only a dabbler in 2 of the 4, and one of them is just a nightmare. The particular nightmare is called a Cascading Style Sheet, and I do like the premade themes in Word Press, but what I don't like is how hard it is to... find the damn lines of code that will allow me to make the homepage 'just so'. Literally been pulling my hair out trying to trace my way through the nightmare of interlinked php files that control certain settings, and then the damn css section that controls them. And near as I can tell, the css I've been editing, doesn't even correlate to the fucking page I'm trying to edit. I'm not a happy camper. So seems like my only solution at this point is to start from scratch, and make my own wordpress theme, which... I can do. eventually. It would be far easier for me right meow if I could remember the damn editor I used to use when I was actively making websites. I started making websites before php and css. So... I'm a little behind in all of it, but I do understand how the php makes the source code for the page, and how to do some really clever things with php, like making a server disappear. (this isn't a ddos kind of thing, it's simply closing down all the connections and turning all the solicitors away at the sidewalk. No house here, keep going.)

And I'm blogging here, since as I said, the site is... up with issues. lots of issues, and I don't even want to load it up. I did manage to get my ftp client to connect to the server, with the help of tech support, after about 3 hours of poking at it with a stick they figured out a work around, but didn't even answer my original query, or solve the problem. I don't know if it's fixed yet or not. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That's a battle for another day, and I'll fight it when I'm ready, and not before. I'll use the work around, and It's a terrible work around, it's so unprofessional. It's like using hose clamps and a bicycle patch to fix a leaky radiator hose. It'll hold for now, but it's gonna break again.

And I find myself getting discouraged already. But I must find my motivation. I must find it and I must hold onto it. Which is why I came here to my forum, to write my blog. Because at least this is right. It's not perfect, but it does look pretty cool. The site logo is up, the background is there with the light bulbs. Oh I'm gonna have so much fun with this theme, and I plan on integrating it all through the forums, and the branding. It's gonna look so cool when it's all said and done. I just have to stay motivated, and accept that there's going to be speed bumps and potholes, and things that just aren't going to go my way.

There's a ton to do, and it's just going to be me working on it. I'm really kind of tired of getting excited about an idea, and then telling my family about it, and them telling me it's stupid, or I can't do it, or it won't work, or some other damn negative thing that just makes me feel like a complete moron for even bringing it up. So this time. I'm not saying a fucking word to anyone about it, until the whole site is live, and up and running and doing it's thing. Then I'll be like. Ok, so, remember all that time I said I was busy, and I was working on a project, and to just please leave me alone, and let me do it, and I didn't say anything else about it? This is what I made. All by myself, with no help, no suggestions, no feedback. It's exactly how I want it, and I'm sharing it with the world.

I realize this sounds kinda disrespectful, like I don't care about my customers or clients, or patreons, or whoever, but that isn't at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is it's my idea, and I'm going to do it how I want to do it. I'm trying to sell my brain and my ideas, and you don't have to agree with my personal world view to enjoy the things I make.